Akagera National Park was pleased to report the following "Highlights" of 2022:
- Akagera had record-breaking tourism revenue in 2022.
- The Gishanda Fish Farm project was officially launched just outside Akagera Park next to Lake Gishanda.
- The security of the park's wildlife and their habitats.
- Newly recorded species and interesting sightings
- Important biodiversity surveys
- Ruzizi Tented Lodge and Akagera National Park have been recognized by TripAdvisor as 2022 Travelersâ€™ Choice award winners.
The park team made great advances in biodiversity surverys including amphibian and reptile reserach, lion and elephant collaring and rhino darting, giraffe monitoring (in conjunction with the Giraffe Conservation Fund), butterfly monitoring (they logged an incredible 164 species in the park!), waterbird studies and executed a community snake "rewildling" project within the park.
Additionally, park management visited Malawi on cross-polination and systems training programs, rennovated the Rurama House boat launch jetty, and built a commity library.
Read on for the full summary of 2022 Highlights from Akagera.